Yale Library celebrates Quantum Week
April 5, 2022
April 14 is World Quantum Day—an international initiative to promote the public understanding of quantum science and technology worldwide. In celebration, from April 8 through April 14, Yale Library will partner with the Yale Quantum Institute to host several special events and exhibits at campus libraries. Quantum Week at Yale will feature:
- On Monday, April 11, from 2 to 4 pm, a Pop-Up Exhibit of rare books about science and quantum, dating from the early sixteenth to the twentieth century, including works by Galileo, Newton, Einstein, Bohr, and others, at the Beinecke Library, Room 38–39 (also open to the general public);
- On Tuesday, April 12, at 10 am, a workshop entitled “Company Intelligence and Market Research Sources for Quantum” (register here);
- Until April 14, Quantum at Marx, an onsite exhibition displayed on digital signage throughout Marx Library, Kline Tower, providing information about online databases, publications, and other resources related to quantum (the forty-slide exhibition will run in its entirety on the digital display in the West Study Room of the library);
- Through April 30, Quantum and the Arts, a display of theatrical scripts and books about dance and visual arts, showing how artists and performers are inspired by quantum concepts and science in general, at the new book display behind the Arts Library service desk, Haas Family Arts Library;
- Through April 30, Quantum Reads, a rotating display of more than fifty books recommended by members of Yale Quantum Institute and Yale’s science librarians, on view on the courtyard level of Bass Library (members of the Yale community may borrow the books on display);
- Quantum at Yale, a new, permanent online exhibition, with information about Yale Quantum Institute, profiles of faculty professors working in quantum, books on the topic, illustrations of instruments and equipment for quantum research, and entrepreneurial ventures (view here).
For a listing of all twenty-three library and non-library events during Quantum Week, visit Quantum at Yale.
See also https://news.yale.edu/2022/04/07/quantum-week-yale-geared-toward-novices…
Image caption: Detail, cover of Bananaworld: Quantum Mechanics for Primates by Jeffrey Bub (Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2016). Illustration by Tanya Bub